Can't login successfully

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 9 18:57:30 MST 2005

Don:

Oops, I forgot something...

Clinton MacDonald wrote:
> Next, you will be asked to make a primary user. This user (you, most
> likely) will be the main user of the machine. You will be asked for your
> first and last names in two text entry boxes ("Donald" and "Townhome,"
> for instance). Oddly, neither of these will be exactly your official
> username. YDL will, however, suggest an official username for you:
> "donaldtownhome" (note that the suggestion is in all lower case). Feel
> free to change this username to something like "don" or "donald" AS LONG
> AS YOU USE ONLY LOWER CASE LETTERS (yes, I see the irony of writing
> about lower case in UPPER CASE). Got it? Only lower case.

I skipped a step here: you will be asked for a user password, too.
Follow the same rules as for creating a root password and WRITE IT DOWN
along with your exact username. You are encouraged NOT to use the same
password for "root" and for your first user.

> Carry on with the installation. When you reboot, you will be prompted
> for your official username. Type it in the box ALL IN LOWER CASE. Hit
> return. Then type in your password EXACTLY AS YOU WROTE IT DOWN.

Here, of course, I mean to type in your user's password, not root's.

The rest should be the same.

Let us know how this works for you!

Best wishes,
Clint