Can't login successfully

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 9 18:48:06 MST 2005

Don:

Don wrote:
>>> Screen shows the "Welcome to localhost.localdomain"
>>> message above asking for the Username. I only used
>>> my first name capitalized as is most logical and
>>> impossible to confuse.
>
> When I did the install originally, it didn't seem to
> mind that I used capitals in both my name and one of
> the passwords. The other password it asked for was
> all in small letters.
>
> Have tried entering everything in small letters and
> ... no joy.

Let me be quite explicit here -- I was sloppy and a little misleading in
my first post, and I can see how you might be confused. Unfortunately,
you might have to reinstall once more to make this work. :-(

Get out your installation disks again. Click "yes" or "okay" on
everything that is relevant until you are asked to create a "root" user.
Your "root" user is a very specific and special user who is given
ultimate administrative privileges on your Linux computer (Mac OS X uses
a special trick so that you should not have to create a root user there,
but you could if you wanted to). You will be asked to create and enter a
password for the root user (note that "root" is all lower case letters).
Create a useful password and WRITE IT DOWN! This password should be
eight or more characters long, should not be your name, your wife's
name, or any word in the dictionary (especially not the word "root").
You should use upper and lower case letters and are encouraged to insert
a few numerals in there, too. No spaces, periods, or question marks.
WRITE IT DOWN EXACTLY. Every time you are asked to perform an
administrative task in Yellow Dog Linux, you will be asked for this
password. The password is CASE SENSITIVE, which means that "macdonald,"
MacDonald," and MACDONALD" are all different passwords as far as the
computer is concerned.

By the way, you will almost never login directly as root, as there are
tricks to get around that.

<http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/Updating+YDL/Doing+things+as+root>

(This site is temporarily down, but should be back soon.)

Next, you will be asked to make a primary user. This user (you, most
likely) will be the main user of the machine. You will be asked for your
first and last names in two text entry boxes ("Donald" and "Townhome,"
for instance). Oddly, neither of these will be exactly your official
username. YDL will, however, suggest an official username for you:
"donaldtownhome" (note that the suggestion is in all lower case). Feel
free to change this username to something like "don" or "donald" AS LONG
AS YOU USE ONLY LOWER CASE LETTERS (yes, I see the irony of writing
about lower case in UPPER CASE). Got it? Only lower case.

Create additional users if you want; otherwise you can create them after
you login.

Carry on with the installation. When you reboot, you will be prompted
for your official username. Type it in the box ALL IN LOWER CASE. Hit
return. Then type in your password EXACTLY AS YOU WROTE IT DOWN. Hit
return, and you should see the lovely login sequence of the Gnome desktop.

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint