Various Questions

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sun Jan 16 01:47:01 MST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 02:58, Don wrote:
> Greetings yellow doggers;
>
> I just succeeded in installing yellow dog last week (on an iMac 350).  I
> seem to remember having found a manual of some sort for it.  Alas I had a
> hard drive crash (on my G3) a few weeks ago when in preparation for doing
> the yd install.  Thus, the info I had is 'lost'.
>
> 1: Is there in fact a manual that I 'overlooked' on the hunt around the
> yellow dog site?

Is this what you are looking for?
www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation/ydl4.0_guide-double.pdf

> 2: Is there a way to tell the screens to dim ... not sleep but dim so
> that it doesn't disturb sleeping people?  Screen savers just don't cut it.

I imagine there would be differences doing this for a laptop.  But I
haven't seen a dim command or function regarding desktop systems.
Besides, who needs sleep anyway?? :)

> 3: When I installed, there was an OS 9 partition on the hard drive... yet
> I do not know how to 'find it' now that linux has 'taken over'.

Well, that's comforting isn't it?  Besides OS 9 is so....well...DEAD.
One doesn't want to resurrect Dracula now, does one?  So let's move on!!
Linux it IS...YES!  Feel the BUZZ!

OK...a bit over the top.  But at 3:30am, a little fun is OK!

Regarding your query:

1.  Go to the sbin directory and find pdisk.
Example:
$ cd /sbin

2.  Become superuser; use the su - (su followed by a minus sign).
Example:
$ su -
Password:
[root at arakus root]#
Explanation: I was previously in ksh, or Korn Shell,usually popular in
Unix, perhaps not so much in Linux.  Invoking this form of superuser
kicked me out of ksh completely and put me into bash which on my system
is the default shell for root which is what superuser essentially is.  I
now have to return from the root directory and go back into the sbin
directory.  Had I used just su I would have been able to stay in the
sbin directory which I had moved into when I was still in ksh.

A discussion on these differences is available within the YDL FAQ site
in the article "Doing Things as root".  It may interest you.

3.  We now return to sbin invoke pdisk as ask it to list for us what it
sees.
Example:
[root at arakus root]# cd /sbin
[root at arakus sbin]# ./pdisk -l

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/sda'
 #:                type name              length   base     ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple                 63 @ 1
 2:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh             54 @ 64
 3:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh             74 @ 118
 4:       Apple_Patches Patch Partition      512 @ 192
 5:           Apple_HFS "Dharma VI"     12594246 @ 704      (  6.0G)
 6:          Apple_Free Extra                 10 @ 12594950

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=12594959 (6.0G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1:  21 @ 64, type=0x701
2:  34 @ 118, type=0xf8ff

pdisk: can't open file '/dev/hda'  (No medium found)

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hdd'
 #:                type name              length   base     ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple                 63 @ 1
 2:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh             54 @ 64
 3:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh             74 @ 118
 4:  Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh            512 @ 192
 5:       Apple_Patches Patch Partition      512 @ 704
 6:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled        57321728 @ 1216     ( 27.3G)
 7:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap             1310400 @ 57322944 (639.8M)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=58633344 (28.0G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1:  21 @ 64, type=0x701
2:  34 @ 118, type=0xf8ff

[root at arakus sbin]#

That's it for finding it!

> 4: Where do I find modem info to put that machine online?

Check out this link:
http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/Using+a+56K+modem

Best wishes....Derick.