Install disk doesn't boot

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Sun Jan 16 16:12:08 MST 2005

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:03:05 -0500
Marcellus Earl <marcellusearl at geneseeabbey.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Another real newbie! I bought YDL 4.0 on cd's and tried to boot the install disk. Failure. I tried holding down the C key and it didn't work although it was clear my machine was trying it's best to boot from it. I tried holding down the option key. Again, no success.
> The machine I'm working with is a Power Mac G3/300 Tower model, 300 MHz, 20 gig hard drive, 512 MB memory. I tried booting while OS X was on it. I even uninstalled it and tried to boot with a newly initialized hard drive. Didn't work.
>
> Do I have a defective disk, or incompatible hardware, or am I just plain ignorant of the right way to boot the disk? What do you advise?
>
> Marcellus Earl

Im sure your CDs are fine. Your hardware is not *officially supported* by TerraSoft but it still work *very well* with a few tricks (just a few, really) and knowing ignorance makes you not so ignorant.

I have a Mac just like yours right here and its on YDL4 right now but I can't guide you for sure since you have OSX.. All I know is through the BootX way of things. This one work only with MacOS 8/9. Are you able to get yaboot to work on this box?