Remote Access OS X to YDL X

James Cass cassj at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 19 20:19:23 MST 2005

Eric -

I'm not an XDMCP expert.  I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express
last night.  :-)   I've just been monkeyin' around with it.  For more
info about this kind of coolness, just do a Google search for "XDMCP".
Here's a howto webpage that gives some background on what's going on:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/procedure.html#AEN46

Here's my take on your wonderings...

> Is it because the G3/266 is only responsible for the
> computations and the G3/400 takes over the drawing
> of the images

I honestly don't know for sure, but that's my thinking too.

> Is there an easier way to kill off an X11 session?
Actually, I don't use the X11 app directly to launch "X".  I issue the
command from the Terminal app. (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app).
So after I logout of my YDL session, I click on the Terminal window
where the X process is running, and I just press "control-c".  You'll
see the "Quitting XDarwin" message.

> Is it possible to do anything in reverse
> from OS X's X11 using my Linux box?
 From other posts I've read, this isn't directly possible.  I'd like to
do the same thing.  Just as an aside, you can do something similar with
Windows and Microsoft's MacOSX app, "Remote Desktop Connection", which
is available for free here:
I am by no means a cheerleader for MS, but this is pretty cool too.
You have to enable "Terminal Services" on your Windows box, but then
you can login to the Windows box like you did with X.  It is much
faster than VNC, but depending on what you're doing, you may want VNC
instead.

> One quirk I have to overcome is that the current
> session is using my modified X11 mouse settings
Not sure about that one.  Try launching your X session from the
Terminal app instead of the X11 app.

HTH...James