Remote Access OS X to YDL X

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 16:24:30 MST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 07:42:51 -0500, James Cass <cassj at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >  I'm actually trying to kill X11 in Linux, not OS X
>
> Oops.  Sorry.  This may do the trick for you.
>         xkill -id windowid

It seems xkill only kills windows.

> I found that here:
> http://www.hackinglinuxexposed.com/articles/20040608.html
> There's other cool stuff on this site too.  I found it by doing a Linux
> Google (http://www.google.com/linux) of this:  kill X11

>> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/procedure.html#AEN46

I've added another flag to the X command that seems to take care of
one irritation:

X -once -query myIPaddress

This makes sure that you only go through one login-logout cycle and
means you don't have to fiddle with ctrl-C in the terminal or anything
like that to kill your local X server (or is that client... I can
never keep the client-server terminology right). Works under Linux...
probably does under OS X as well.

Eric.