Configurability

Don dtownhome at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 23 01:17:48 MST 2005

>From:        Andrew, virgule88 at videotron.ca
>To:          Yellow Dog Linux Newbie List,
>yellowdog-newbie at lists.terrasoftsolut
>
>On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:23:24 -0500
>
>> Item 2: can't find any way to dim the screens for night use.  Even dark
>> color settings don't make it dim enough to avoid waking light sleeper
>> wife.
>
>Well, my monitor is used to turn off ( red power led ) when I let it "sit"
>at the login screen for long enough. ( that's GDM screen - by default,
>with Yellow Dog, its a blue screen with a yellow 'yellowdog' on it - thats
>where you input your username and password..) But when I let it 'sit' when
>logged-in it usually open screensaver ( green power led )

Sure Andrew!  So far that is my experience too.  Problem is,
a light sleeper in the house is still being disturbed even
by a black screen with one single item floating in the screen
saver module.  On the G3 I have 3 monitors all with controls
on the front of them to just darken up when the lights all go
out.  The iMac doesn't do that... unfortunately.  So, I need
a way to get it to

In addition, the brightness...even with using dark colors for
my preferences makes for sore eyes in fairly short order when
using the machine in a totally dark room.  In fact, even as I
sit here typing on one machine with the iMac beside ... its
single screen has almost as much light disturbance to the room
than all three (17"+19"+17") monitors right beside it combined.
So that's why I'm searching so much.

Thanks for the response.
Don