iMac Slot Load and X

Peter Gort pgort at mac.com
Sun Jan 23 04:59:30 MST 2005

Hi People, please forgive a question that probably comes up a lot:

I installed YDL 4 on my iMac Slot-load 600 Mhz.  No problems at all
installing other than having to do it in text mode as it wouldn't bring
up the graphical installer, claiming no screens found.

However after completing the install I get the same error when booting
from the new system.  I searched the YDL web site and got a question
with this problem and an answer pointing me to a nicely written article
http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/Configuration+of+XF86Config
on how to edit
/etc/X11/XF86Config
advising to put the refresh rates in the resolutions.  i.e. change the
"Modes" from "1024x768" to "1024x768-75".  This I have done for all
three bit depths (8,16,24) and I have changed the default to 24.

However X server will still not startup, claiming a parsing error on
line 57,
"The VertRefresh keyword must be followed by a list of numbers or
ranges"
line 57 does indeed have that keyword but it IS followed by "75-60"
(without the quotes).

Can anybody please tell me how to get X working?  Any suggestions for
what I might have missed?

Peter