iMac sound setup

Peter Gort pgort at mac.com
Sun Jan 23 22:13:18 MST 2005

Oh what fun! (and i'm not being sarcastic I'm actually enjoying this)

As per yesterday's email I've installed Orion on an iMac slot load 600 mhz.
After some fun last night with video X-Windows is working.  I had a weird
effect where everything that was supposed to be blue was actually a beautiful
deep Maroon colour.  I changed the default bit depth from 24 to 16 and now I
have Blue.  The fun continues:

During the inital setup (first run routine when X windows started working) I
got the System sound test, and I heard the sounds.  However when logging in I
was getting no sound and a message
"Error while initializing sound driver
SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT failed, invalid argument"

but AFTER changing the default bit depth I instead get

"device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)"

It seems odd that changing the screen bit depth should alter the sound
behaviour so maybe this was a co-incidence but hey....