yellowdog-newbie Digest, Vol 5, Issue 33

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Jan 25 13:52:58 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 15:00, Tom Bombaci Jr wrote:
> We're installing on Mac OS X 10.3.7.
> Now, another twist: I reinstalled 10.3.7 to get rid of the squirrelly
> YDL installation, and, now, I still get the yaboot screen, even tough
> YDL is not on the system any more (I did an erase and install, so there
> should have been a clean installation of OS X).  The yaboot defaults to
> Linux, so I end up with having to restart the system if I don't watch
> closely enough.

Just a Guess....
Is it possible that on the Install CD of MacOS X there MAY exist a
program equivalent to pdisk which could be used to scan the partitions
on the drive?  If so then you could use it to remove that partition.

A different issue...
It is quite possible that you merely erased the partition where Mac OS X
previously resided and have merely reinstalled it onto the same
location.  If you want to really wipe the entire drive you have to
reduce all the data on the drive to zero.  One application I know which
can do that very well is TechTool Pro; nothing will survive it.  Again
the entire drive, not just a part of it has to be wiped. THEN you
reinstall OSX onto the drive, then OS X will have more available HD
space previously reserved for the Linux partition.

It depends on what you intend to do and how you choose the partitions to
appear.

Best wishes....