SAMBA plus!

ldicarro at mindspring.com ldicarro at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 31 13:51:35 MST 2005

I am trying to set up SAMBA on a local network for 2 pc's (one W2K and the other XP) and have had all kinds of troubles. I am to a point where things mount and copy, but the files and premissions cannot be edited from the Win machines. Here is what I have so far:

Network name is named Home as is my Win boxes.
Users have accounts on the YDL and in Samba and the names match what they are on the Win boxes.
Authentication is set to Share as I don't have a Kerberos or AD login server.
The share point is /var/www/html/
The permissions are set to rwxrwxr-x
The owner is root but the group is webauth which all accounts belong to.

Machine info:
Blue and White G3 w/512MB Ram

So when I copy a file to the Samba share that is mounted and try to open it for editing in Notepad, I keep getting premission errors when I try to save it. Does any one have any experience with this and could help me out?

Also, is YDL Samba different from regular Red Had/Fedora Samba? I installed swat and the page claims that the processes are running even though the Server Services say they are. I don't think top shows them running, either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
<Louis>