Serial Modem Setup

B McKee binlinux at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 31 08:41:31 MST 2005

On Saturday, January 29, 2005, at 01:16  PM, Michael D Kane wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am using YDL 3.0.1 on a Lombard PB G3 and have not been able to set
> up the internal serial modem. I can connect to the internet via KPPP
> so the modem is ok. When I try to set up the modem using System
> Settings, Network, no modem is found when YDL polls the system. I
> tried "setserial" and it says all devices and locations are occupied
> and busy. This can't be right as I am no external devices of any kind.
>
> I got MOL to work and with exception of not being able to connect to
> the internet from MOL it works very well. By the way, when I check
> modem status while running MOL it says "no serial port available"
>
> Can someone please give me some pointers?

Hi Mike
	To use the internet from within MOL,
1 - start and connect with kppp
2 - change your Network Location in OSX to Automatic

OSX under MOL can't talk to the modem - YDL owns it.
OSX will use a 'tunnel' that it thinks is just an ethernet
connection to talk to YDL and YDL passes the request on to the
modem as required.
Think of OSX as just being a program running on top of Linux with
no access to the hardware underneath any more.  Sounds confusing
I guess, but once you start using it you get used to it.

Brian