SAMBA plus!

Longman, Bill longman at sharplabs.com
Mon Jan 31 16:35:47 MST 2005

> So when I copy a file to the Samba share that is mounted and
> try to open it for editing in Notepad, I keep getting
> premission errors when I try to save it. Does any one have
> any experience with this and could help me out?

Louis,

There's a couple ways to work with this. The first thing I'd suggest is
looking into winbind, although for only two machines this might be overkill.
It makes working with the nastified Win OS's much easier (where nastified is
any MS OS >= Win2k and later patches of NT).

You can also take a look at the "username map" setting which might help. You
might want to force them all to a single uid and use this in addition to a
user map on the file system mounting option. That way, you can tell samba to
make all requests to the disk as a single user and the filesystem will
respond through its user mapping.

> Also, is YDL Samba different from regular Red Had/Fedora
> Samba? I installed swat and the page claims that the
> processes are running even though the Server Services say
> they are. I don't think top shows them running, either.

This sounds to me like smbd and nmbd are not getting started. Start them
manually and watch for errors. You should run "testparm" to make sure your
smb.conf file is copaset^H^Hcet^H^H^H^H^H^H^ okay.