Error 2002 and MySQL not starting

Everett Littles eslittles at ucdavis.edu
Tue Feb 1 08:32:56 MST 2005

I just installed a copy of YDL 4.0 and now want to get MySQL up and
running.
However, whenever I tried to invoke it, I get the following error
message:
Error 2002: can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)

In OS X Server, I am used to this meaning that the MySQL server is not
up and running.  So I did a check to see if the process was running and
it wasn't.  When I tried to launch /usr/bin/safe_mysqld I get the
following output.
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
050201 07:16:23 mysqld ended

Why won't mysqld start?

Thanks.