second drive for ydl 4.0 w/ yaboot

mascarasnake dontdrill at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 12 11:21:39 MST 2005

Hey Natasha -

Natasha Geerts wrote:
> Hi, I'm really really new to this newbie list. I'm preparing to install
> YDL 4.0 on my G4 tower w/ Mac OS x.
>
> Why is it that it's better to install YDL on the first drive on the IDE
> chain, jumpered as Master, and have Mac OS x on the second drive and
> jumpered as Slave? Is it ok to reverse them? If not, why not? and if so,
> what kinds of problems can arise? Is it something I can get around some
> other way?

To be truthful, it's not necessary, just very, very strongly advised
(let me toss in another very here). The reason is the way that the Open
Firmware handles the boot process. By putting YDL on the first
partitions on the master disk (after the Apple drivers), the ydl
bootloader (yaboot) will always be the first partition accessed - even
after a reset of the nvram. Unless you are familiar a bit with the OF,
it's simpler and safer to setup as described in the YDL guide(s).

> I've searched the net but the only place I've found it mentioned at all
> is in the YDL 4.0 install guide (and other YDl install guides) on
> yellowdoglinux.com and that's all they say.

As a jumping point here, check out:
<http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/Installing+YDL/BootX%2C+Yaboot+and+the+OF>

There's a simplified version of how the boot process works, plus a lot
of links to the more technical and detailed workings of the OF. Ignore
the stuff I wrote about OldWorld Macs and concentrate on the NewWorld info.

If you are *really* interested in the process, check out the
kernelthread.com link to booting Mac OSX. towards the bottom of the page.

> sitting in the smog,
> Natasha

Hope that turns off that smog machine for ya,

cheers, g'luck and all that stuff

--
     It's what you make it man
     Takes time