OldWorld install of 4.0 -- cleaning up

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 05:39:12 MST 2005

FYI Andrew...

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:38:14 +0000, Andrew Mason <andrew@> wrote:
> On Thursday 17 February 2005 3:56 am, Andrew wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 19:53, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> > > Now, how do I "re-activate" the pre-existing users on /home?
> > > Would this work or do I risk destroying the data in the directories?
> >
> > THAT is a good point. There must be a way to restore a user's place at
> > home. I have no friggin clue how.. As soon as I learn that trick, it
> > will be added into the howto.
> when you do useradd just use the -d flag and make sure that the home dir is
> then chown 'd to the new user id and group it... :)

Hmm. I ended up experimenting with a "junk" account that I
fortuitiously had created only days before, called ed (guess where
that comes from ;-).

useradd -u 504 ed
passwd ed

(obviously you change 504 to match your pre-existing UID... easy way
to find out what it is is "ls -l" in one of the directories that
belongs to that user)

The -d flag doesn't seem to do much since it merely specifies a "home"
and the default home will (in all likelihood) be the same home as
you'd specify. -u was crucial since I didn't want to have to change
all the UID flags for files to match a new UID.

Now I've got problems with SMB file sharing but I don't think that's
directly related to this account re-creation (though, it might have to
do with Group IDs?). At least I got AppleTalk file sharing going after
installing netatalk (merely by turning on the atalk service in WebMin)
but afs is a less-than ideal solution compared to SMB :-( (no support
for long file names, perhaps if I upgrade netatalk to the latest
stable version 2.02 from the 1.69 contained in YDL 4...).

> > > "2a- You will meet a text-mode login, login as root and add your 'user'
> > > account: useradd <username> [ENTER]
> > > passwd <username> [ENTER]"
> > >
> > > From
> > >
> > > <http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=339>