yellowdog-newbie Digest, Vol 7, Issue 8

rutledge.50 rutledge.50 at osu.edu
Tue Mar 8 13:33:44 MST 2005

I had the same problem on my clamshell iBook.  The old cdrom won't read
CDR/RWs.  Nobody seems to address this issue anywhere, but I was able to
come up with an ugly hack...

Okay, I made a 100mb HFS partition at the beginning of the disk, and
called it bootstrap.  I copied the kernel, the ramdisk image, yaboot,
and yaboot.conf there.  You have to edit the paths in the yaboot.conf to
point to your new partition, as in hd:,vmlinux etcetera.

Then boot to OpenFirmWare, and type boot hd:,yaboot.  You will then boot
into the installer on the ramdisk, and can do a network install.

I have a Firewire CDRW, but the installer doesn't give you the option to
install from a Firewire drive, and I cannot boot from the CDRW :(

I have used this method to install Yellowdog 4, Debian, and NetBSD just
fine.  Maybe Fedora PPC too at one point...

Good luck!  Let me know if you need a yaboot.conf, I may have one somewhere.

Linc