How can I share files between OS X and YDL?

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 21 13:27:12 MST 2005

Mr. Lee:

Frederick C.Lee wrote:
> What I've managed to do, is to exchange files between Darwin
> and Linux (and vice-versa, I believe). It's a crude way of
> passing files, but I don't see a viable way.

Hmmm.... Although I am not quite certain of what you are doing, that
sounds much harder than it should be (someone else on this list can
correct me if I am wrong, since I am not running YDL at present). When I
was running YDL 3.0 on my Wallstreet, using extfsx I was able to mount
and read/write to the Yellow Dog Linux partition without difficulty
within Mac OS X, and using Konqueror, I was able to mount and read/write
files to the HFS (not HFS+ -- see below) partition just as easily.
Invoking the Darwin layer and resetting permissions was not part of my
solution.

Take a look at the following two How-Tos. In the first, I described the
uncomplicated way I installed YDL on my Wallstreet, taking care to
create an "interchange" partition. The second describes how to mount an
HFS partition from within YDL. Note the Addendum at the bottom of the
second page, which is an update for the HFS+ filesystem.

<http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/Installing+YDL/How+should+I+partition+my+disks%3F>

<http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/Configuring+YDL/Mounting+a+Mac+partition+in+YDL>

I recommend you set up an "interchange" partition so that you do not run
the risk of hosing either your YDL or your Mac OS X partitions.

> The Aqua Layer doesn't allow me access to Linux's "/usr/public"
> folder, even though I had set the permission to '666' - r/w for
> all.

Again, that sounds like too much work, and it should not be necessary to
mess with permissions. Maybe there is a problem since you are trying to
access both partitions as your primary administrative user (501). The
permissions may be conflicting there (again, someone will correct me if
I am wrong). What happens if you create a new user and try to access the
partitions that way?

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint