PowerMac 6500/250 acting up/ethernet problems/USB

sinnott-armstrongn nova at macintoshclub.com
Mon Mar 21 16:57:38 MST 2005

I have three problems with Yellow dog Linux (all relating to YDL 3.0.1)
that I am trying to solve:
1) First, I have a PB G3 Wall Street 233 Mhz (160MB RAM) and an iMac
RevB 233 Mhz (64 MB RAM). Both have onboard ethernet, and both are
connected to a NetGear switch which is connected to a 500 Mhz iMac DVSE
(running OS9/OSX.3 soon YDL) throught Ethernet with an AirPort Card. I
was wondering if it was possible to share the internet connection with
the other computers and if so, how.
2) On the RevB iMac, I have tried to attach my USB Flash drive and
externat USB SuperDrive to it. They are successfully recognised under
hardware manager, but do not appear on the User Mount Tool. How do I
mount them? (they are not in /mnt either).
3) I am trying to install on a PowerMac 6500/250 with a 250Mhz 603ev
processor and 48 MB RAM (I am getting more). I go through the whole
install process, but when I finish entering the root password and other
users, it tries to read the packages and then reverts to a weird
multicolored multioverlapped screen that sits for 30 min (that is as
long as I would wait). I then reboot and try agian. I tried with no
video driver etc. and it still didn't work. I was wondering if (a) Do I
need more RAM? (b) can I do a text-based install? (c) what should my
prefs look like? (d) are there any extra kernel options I should put
on?

Thanks for the help!