Unable to access my partitioned HFSPlus Drive: Permisssion Denied for non-SUs.

Frederick C.Lee fclee at highstream.net
Sat Mar 26 09:38:23 MST 2005

Greetings:
	I have a hfsplus (Apple) and ext3 (Linux) partitions on a
non-<Apple>boot drive.  The hfsplus (Apple) is to be used as a port
between the two OSes.
That is, I store docs on the logical disk 'Apple' to be shared by both
OSes.

The problem is, neither user (Apple/Linux) has permission to access
this partition (Apple).  On the Linux side, I can't WRITE to the
partition, however I an see the contents.

  I've changed the permissions and ownership of the /mnt/Apple mount
directory within Linux; but that only messed things up.   Now I get
flashing contents on the Linux side when I did a 'ln -l' via User
prompt.
What does flashing data mean?   Loss of identitiy/ownership?

As for the Apple side, now I can't even open the drive icon in Finder:
"Permission Denied".  This probably due to me screwing up
permissions/ownership from the Linux side.

It appears I have to go under the covers as Super User once again.

I'm heading in the wrong direction here.

Question: How can I make an Apple partition freely available
(read/write) to non-SuperUsers of both OSes?
Changing permission/ownership from the command line doesn't help.

Regards,

Ric.