Unable to install RPM package

Frederick C.Lee fclee at highstream.net
Sat Mar 26 09:51:32 MST 2005

Greetings:
     I have a rpm package that I had downloaded.   I followed the "Red
Hat Linux for Dummies" (being that YDL is a RHL derivative)
instructions for installing a RPM.  All I got was the .gz file as the
result.

1) Locate the rpm package to install:
[ric at localhost ric]$ ls
Apple  Desktop  qgis-0.6.0-0.src.rpm

2) Check the status of any previous target rpm installation:
[ric at localhost ric]$ rpm -qls qgis*
package qgis-0.6.0-0.src.rpm is not installed

3) Install the package per instruction:
[ric at localhost ric]$ rpm -ivh qgis*
error: cannot write to %sourcedir /usr/src/yellowdog/SOURCES

3a) It failed.  Okay, via Super User.
[ric at localhost ric]$ su
Password:
[root at localhost ric]# ls /usr/src/yellowdog/SOURCES
qgis-0.6.0.tar.gz
[root at localhost ric]# rpm -ivh qgis*
    1:qgis                   ###########################################
[100%]

4) I appeared to have installed very quickly (a second or two).  Did it
REALLY INSTALL?
     Query to check:
[root at localhost ric]# rpm -qi qgis*
package qgis-0.6.0-0.src.rpm is not installed

5) That's odd.  Check yellowdog sources:
[root at localhost ric]# ls /usr/src/yellowdog/SOURCES
qgis-0.6.0.tar.gz
[root at localhost ric]#

Okay.
So, all I got was the .gz package.  And it didn't unpack or de-archive.
Now what do I do?

How do I check for a de-archiving routine?   Or is it necessary?
Since all the other Red Hat RPM packages have
already been installed and hence, probably de-archived as well.

So what's missing?

Regards,
Ric.