can't install os x?

John J. Kelly johnkelly at astralvoyager.com
Tue Mar 29 16:24:49 MST 2005

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:21:55 -0400
> From: mckeeir <mckeeir at nb.sympatico.ca>
> Subject: Re: can't install os x?
> To: Yellow Dog Linux Newbie List
> 	<yellowdog-newbie at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
>
> You probably can't do that, because mac os x requires a certain kind of
> partition...can't remember what it's called...but instead of just free
> space it needs to be specially optimized for os x. When I installed a
> dual boot system...i loaded os x on first and made special partitions
> for x and left the rest as free space for linux. For more information,
> go on the yellowdoglinux.com and look for the YDL installation guide.
> It's really easy to install os x first and then YDL, take it from
> someone who isn't real experienced with partitioning.
>
> lacinda r wrote:

In order to install OSX or any Apple OS, you need to partition the disk
from an Apple CD first. I always use the disk utility on the OS9 Cd I
got with my IBook. The reason is, Apple has it's own funny partitioning
scheme.
At the start of the drive, there are 8 little partitions containing some
kind of signature or drivers or something Apple uses. I have no idea
what they hold really. I just know if they are not there OSX/9 won't
boot. You can't normally see these in OSX or OS9. However in Linux, or
in the terminal in OSX, become root, and type 'pdisk' followed by the
volume. Do a 'df -k' first to get the volume names. I forget what they are.
If you partition from Linux first and then install OSX later, it won't
boot even though it is already present. Trust me, I learned this the
hard way.

Hope this helps.

John Kelly.