iMac DV SE has YDL problems

sinnott-armstrongn nova at macintoshclub.com
Fri Apr 1 21:21:43 MST 2005

I have a iMac DV SE/500 that has problems. I recently got a 200GB HD
for it formatted it like this:
Xx Apple Drivers
55555 free space (For MS-DOS & swap partitions)
63000-ish HFS+ journaled for 10.3 (preinstalled)
10000 HFS for OS9 (preinstalled)
65000-ish free (for ext3 FS, Home, etc)
I then booted off the YDL 3.0.1 CD, and hit enter at the prompt. The
first time, it had errors with the ramdisk.image.gz, and went to open
firmware, so I rebooted. Then on the boot prompt I hit return for
default install. It loaded kernel etc and opened a text-interface. Then
it loaded anaconda and the X window Server timed out, so it went back
to text mode. I went through the install, selecting workstation and
getting KDE,GNOME, and servers for all but mail, news, and MySQL as
checked. Then I finished the install prefs, and it loaded the
installer. I waited for 2-3 hours and it got no progress. Is this a
problem with YDL 3.0.1, or a problem with my computer? I kept an
external FW HD attached through the install process. could that cause
it? Also, are there any kernel arguments I should pass when that comes
up? Also, a few questions involving other working YDL computers:
1) I have a iMac 233/Strawb/64 that is running YdL 3.0.1 and a
PowerBook G3 Wall Street /233/160, also running 3.0.1. I have not
gotten ethernet to succefully work on either. Does anyone have a link
to a site that could help me?
2) How do I make MS-DOS partitions in text-mode? I need one (Do I?) for
file transfer between OSX/OS9/YDL, right?
3) is Mac On Linux a default install in 3.0.1?
thanks for all the help!