eth0 does not seem to be present

Michael Koppelman lolife at bitstream.net
Wed Apr 6 16:10:36 MDT 2005

I just installed YDL 4.0.1 on a Rev A iMac. The install went fine. When
I booted after install there was no network interface on the ifconfig
list, just the loopback interfaces. I used the Network control panel
dealie and there was a device listed in the Hardware tab called "GMAC
(Sun GEM)" with status "ok". There was no device in the device tab. I
added an Ethernet device to the appropriate hardware device, saved and
clicked activate and I got the dreaded:

"sungem device eth0 does not seem to be present"

I have searched the web and the mail lists and could find no advice on
how to proceed. According to the YDL site the network card in this
computer is supported. I have no idea how to make the eth0 device show
up in ifconfig. The Network system setting application seems to think
it is there and "ok". I have tried editing, adding, deleting hardware
and devices and restarting the network and rebooting and such to no
avail.

What to do?

Thanks!
Michael Koppelman