How can I share files between OS X and YDL?

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 05:19:02 MDT 2005

> Why do we have to have these bloody permissions any way. Why cant there
> just be a single user button that just ignored permissions for the
> entire disc. For all those fellas out there who are the only users of
> their machines it would make life so much easier, than all the nonsense
> that I have been through recently.

I hear ya! Permissions drive me nuts as well. It's one of those things
that still "dog" <does that ever stink> Linux and will need to be
addressed before it becomes as easy to use as OS X (permissions are
good, but they're damn confusing).

Have you tried sudo (I wish sudo was on by default... I'm a Mac user
;-) or su from the CLUI? You could possibly log-in to your KDE session
as root, or start konquerer from a su or sudo command.

IIRC your userID (UID) has to be the same on OS X as on YDL for you to
be able to write. On Mac OS X it's possible to tell extfs2 (or
whatever it's called) to ignore permissions.

PS Have you tried the Mac OS X solution? Install ext2fs (find it at
<http://www.versiontracker.com>) into your system and use it to mount
the YDL partition.

Eric.