Problems Booting YDL From a Firewire Drive

Ken Tompkins kentompkins3 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 13 09:28:42 MDT 2005

>Here is my setup and what I have done:
>
>1. Installed the latest YDL on a 60gig drive.
>2. Removed drive from main computer and installed in firewire case.
>3. The result is that -- on bootup -- the text menu allowing me to select
>Linux or OSX does not appear.
>4. No problem. Boot holding down the Option key.
>5. YDL/firewire drive DOES appear on the screen.
>6. When selected, the text boot message does appear.
>7. Here's the problem -- keyboard doesn't work! I can't boot YDL.
>
>This is on a PowerPC (Silver Doors), dual 800mhz computer.

This is still not working though two folks made suggestions. It ought
not to be this hard!

The only change in the list above is that the keyboard DOES now
work (see #7 in the list above). Here is what happens now:

1. I boot the machine holding down the Options key.
2. The three drives in my system appear: OSX, a data drive and YDL
3. I select YDL
4. The graphic screen disappears and I see the text in the upper left
telling me to type L or Linux or X for OSX.
5. I hit L
6. There is a flash and I am back to the GUI with the three drives
shown only now the machine seems locked up -- cursor moves
but I can't select a drive. Also the labels on the drives are now
black rectangles.
7. I have to force a reboot with the power button.

I have run through this procedure many times but nothing that I change
has any effect.

I know, btw, that the YDL DOES actually boot because I put the drive
into the Mac without the other drives and booted into YDL. So that
drive and that installation is ok.

As I said, this ought not to be this hard!

Suggestions? Solutions?

kt

                            Kenneth Tompkins
                        Professor of Literature