Problems Booting YDL From a Firewire Drive

Ray astrochess at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 18 20:47:07 MDT 2005

On Apr 12, 2005, at 5:27 AM, Ken Tompkins wrote:

> Here is my setup and what I have done:
>
> 1. Installed the latest YDL on a 60gig drive.
> 2. Removed drive from main computer and installed in firewire case.
> 3. The result is that -- on bootup -- the text menu allowing me to
> select
> Linux or OSX does not appear.
> 4. No problem. Boot holding down the Option key.
> 5. YDL/firewire drive DOES appear on the screen.
> 6. When selected, the text boot message does appear.
> 7. Here's the problem -- keyboard doesn't work! I can't boot YDL.
>
> This is on a PowerPC (Silver Doors), dual 800mhz computer.
>
> Am I not going to be able to use this setup -- YDL on a firewire drive?
> Is the only solution putting the YDL drive into the PowerPC Mac and
> getting rid of the firewire arrangement? If so, can I add a third
> drive to the Mac?
>
> kt
> --

>                            Kenneth Tompkins
>                        Professor of Literature
>                  Richard Stockton College of NJ
>                                Homepage
> http://loki.stockton.edu/~ken/homepage/homepage.htm
>                    Deserted Medieval Village:
> http://loki.stockton.edu/~ken/wharram/wharram.htm

I can think of two solutions:

1. I believe that you will be able to use Linux on a Firewire drive.
Just backup your data on a CD, then install Linux on the FW drive.

The simpler way would be to find out what id was assigned to the FW
drive and fixing the yaboot file, but this will be redundant, because
this will require another Linux boot drive, which is what you are
trying to get working in the first place.

2. Put the Linux drive back into the Mac. This is probably the easier
choice of the two.