Connecting to WEP Encrypted WiFi

Nathan Cashion ldsnately at mac.com
Fri May 6 12:51:32 MDT 2005

I just finished installing 4.0.1 successfully.  (Sound is still so-so, but that's ok.)

I also recently enabled 128-bit WEP encryption on my wireless home network.
I haven't been able to connect to my wireless network using YDL.  I've used the Internet Configuration Wizard, under System Tools, and that's created another profile (called eth0:1) wherein I specified the SSID and the encryption key.  Then I get an error similar to the following:

Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    SET failed on device eth0:1 ; Invalid argument.
Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
    SET failed on device eth0:1 ; Operation not supported.
Determining IP information for eth0:1...SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address
 failed.

I've tried setting the "Mode" as Auto and Managed, neither of which work.

This happens when trying to connect to an 'open' wireless network using this eth0:1 profile also.
I'm sure the SSID is correct, although I will double check the Channel.

I have successfully connected to an open network using the regular eth0 configuration that is created by default.
I'm using a PowerBook G3 Pismo, 500MHz with 768MB RAM, and an AirPort card (not the Extreme of course).

I hope the problem is clear.  Any ideas??

Thanks,
Nately