Help setup eth0 for Powerbook G3 Wallstreet YDL 4

Colin Ward cward1 at btconnect.com
Sat May 7 14:28:12 MDT 2005

>Message: 2
>Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 10:57:51 -0600
>From: Kevin Moloney <kevin.moloney at colorado.edu>
>Subject: Help setup eth0 for Powerbook G3 Wallstreet YDL 4
>To: yellowdog-newbie at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com

>Hello,

>I just installed YDL 4.0.1 on a Powerbook Wallstreet, using BootX for
>YDL 3. All's working well but for the ethernet. On the install the
>final configuration crashed (I assume on setup of the New World
>bootloader).

>Anyway, the ethernet works during install and on initial run as root.
>As soon as I logout or reboot it is lost.

>eth0 loads on boot, and unloads on shutdown. But when I open redhat-
>config-network the eth0 interface is inactive. It won't activate.

>I look under the device tab and see no device associated with eth0.
>Should there be a hardware device there? I assume so. But I have no
>idea what device to put there, what driver to use, etc.

>I'm lost. Any help would be appreciated.

>Thanks.

I think that mac uses the bmac Ethernet device that my B+W G3 uses, I also
had the same problems.

I wrote to YDL as there was a definite bug in the installer that wasn't
picking up the right chip,  they issued a fix a few days later.

Have a look at this
<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/>

Read the section about Ethernet detection on B&W G3s. I'm certain this is
related as ISTR the wallstreet uses the same bmac Ethernet chip.
Hope this helps
Colin