yellowdog-newbie Digest, Vol 9, Issue 7

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue May 10 11:58:43 MDT 2005

Consider what you are adding to your system that requires you to update
the kernel or anything else.  A lot of problems in Linux can be avoided
by just working carefully and diligently with the whatever stock
version of software one has.  Upgrade if you need to and when you
comprehend the details of why and the procedures required to complete
the process.  When you reach that level of comprehension you also will
consider this question more carefully than you do now.

Make sure that yum.conf is pointing to useable repositories which are
kept current or "fresh".  If this is done you can use yum as follows,
let's say you want to ensure you have the latest stuff for xine.  You
can do:

yum search xine*

and yum will search for any and all occurances of xine and xine
packages which are available.

when you get back a list you can then select from that list or install
the entire list:

yum install xine*

If you are current up to the version of the kernel you have yum will
tell you.  However you will have to do a bit of research and be bold
enough to double check whatever it tells you.  You could do:

yum upgrade kernel

or

yum install kernel

If you are unsure about using yum you could do

man yum

or

info yum

to get more information from the help system.

On May 10, 2005, at 1:05 PM, Matthew McGraw wrote:

> cian,
>
> the HOW-TO on terrasoft's site mentions updating the kernel and gives
> a number, the output of uname on my system shows a lower number than
> the one given, therefore i assume i need to update...
>
> i havent yet figured out how to use yum to update anything, let alone
> the kernel... anyone willing to walk me thru it, i would greatly
> appreciate the help.
>
> tia,
>
> matt
>
> On Sunday, May 8, 2005, at 11:00 AM,
> yellowdog-newbie-request at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:
>
>> As goes HFS mounting, I'm surprised its not in the kernel by default -
>> filesystem type hfsplus. Mounting would be along the lines of 'mount
>> -t hfsplus /dev/hda1 /mnt/osx'
>>
>> If its not in the kernel already, I would expect a newer kernel to be
>> in the yum repositories
>>
>> Cian

"Whoever claims the right to redistribute the wealth produced by others
is claiming the right to treat human beings as chattel." -- Ayn Rand

WE ARE AT WAR WITH THE MOST DANGEROUS ENEMY THAT HAS EVER FACED MANKIND,
AND IF WE LOSE THAT WAR AND IN SO DOING LOSE THIS WAY OF FREEDOM OF
OURS, HISTORY WILL RECORD WITH THE GREATEST ASTONISHMENT THAT THOSE WHO
HAD THE MOST TO LOSE DID THE LEAST TO PREVENT ITS HAPPENING.
--- RONALD REAGAN

"The Romans used to say that courage is not the only virtue, but it's
the only one that makes the other virtues possible." -- Benjamin
Netanyahu to Brian Lamb on C-SPAN's Washington Journal, Sept. 21, 2001

"Intellectual freedom cannot exist without political freedom; political
freedom cannot exist without economic freedom; a free mind and a free
market are corollaries." -- Ayn Rand, "For The New Intellectual,"

"Better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees."
-- Dolores Ibarruri, 1936

"What do you call a peaceful, productive, person who is prevented by
force of law from disposing of his efforts as he sees fit? A slave." --
Rick Gaber

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every
form of tyranny over the mind of man." -- Thomas Jefferson, 1800, as
inscribed in the Jefferson Memorial

Live Free...