yellow-dog in an imac G5?

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Wed May 18 18:01:44 MDT 2005

I'll address your query this way:

If you are looking for a way to use server software on a powerful CPU
at 64 or even 128 bits (which NO Intel or copy cat chips can do yet by
the way) then this is the place to be, and by all means YDL is THE
system to use.  If you have the patience to deal with Linux or Unix
then dealing will BSD as implemented in OS X is very very compelling
especially as OS X is so rock solid and reliable whereas in Linux one
is nearly always tweaking this or that.  Also BSD is so entwined into
OS X that unless one had sufficient experience in Linux one would not
know that the graphic engine creating all those nice colors in iTunes
is xine!  Yet in Linux the controls in xine are absolutely archaic!

Most  familiar with Red Hat Linux would not be able to distinguish a
YDL desktop from a Red Hat one.

Having said that it is also true that if you really want a program
which runs on a Linux system on a PC all you need to do is access that
program's source, download it and recompile it for use on your PPC.
This will nearly always be possible unless the program is written to
execute and utilize PC specific hardware.  You should take the time to
find out just how committed to open source a programmer or a group of
programmers really are.
If they provide source for you so that you can compile their program on
your PPC, they did not code it specifically for PC hardware then yes,
you should be able to run that software.  Note that there are two
conditions to fulfill, not one.