hellish - don't bother

Ed Sutherland digital at twcny.rr.com
Mon Jun 13 07:30:24 MDT 2005

As an on-again, off-again Linux user (YDL, Gentoo, Suse, Lindows and
Ubuntu), I have to agree. Linux was once the refuge for average desktop
computer users looking for an alternative to Mac or Windows. As these
two major OSes have increased their usability (particularly Windows
security), the attractiveness of Linux for mainstream users has
dwindled. Today, Linux remains the sole haven for users which either
cannot afford to upgrade to a modern major operating system or cannot
philosphically stomach the motives of MS or Apple. Myself, computers are
not an end unto themselves, but a tool enabling me to make a living. It
is rather significant the place society has put computers; second only
to the love-hate affair we've developed with the automobile.

Ed