hellish - don't bother

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 09:08:01 MDT 2005

[With Linux]
> You can get a functional system (which has QAQC issues in apps) that
> can do MORE than and is as good as what you could get from
> Microsoft/Intel in the early-1990s FOR FREE (there's r, a stats
> language, OO.org, GIMP, NVU, etc.). Plus, you have exceptional
> over-all system stability (even if the apps themselves are flakey).

I meant to also say...

"Running software that would've cost THOUSANDS of dollars FOR FREE."

When you tally up the costs of such things as GIMP, OO.org, r, all the
free compilers and scripting languages (e.g. PERL), web servers, etc.
you can easily come to a few thousand dollars (or whatever currency
you use). BUT, you cannot use the cost of MS Office or Photoshop when
doing your calculations -- open source analogues are simply not in the
same league as these packages. Realistic comparisons can be made with
the likes of Microsoft Works, and, well, I can't think of a "simple"
commercial photo editor off the top of my head for GIMP (GIMP is neat,
but it's like comparing a motorised bicycle with a wood seat going 5
km/h with a Benz going 80 km/h. Yeah, both will eventually get you to
where you're going, but you can travel 1000 km in 12 hours and be
fairly rested when you get to your destination, or you can take 20 12
hour days on your motobike to do the same and be exhausted when you
get there).

Eric.