hellish - don't bother

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 14:25:41 MDT 2005

On 6/13/05, William Howard <chrisnlcc at mac.com> wrote:
> >  As these
> > two major OSes have increased their usability (particularly Windows
> > security), the attractiveness of Linux for mainstream users has
> > dwindled.
>
> For now, maybe, but wait until Longhorn finally gets released and the
> 90 percent customer base gets hit with the sticker shock...
>
> Actually, by that time most Windows users will want something new,
> but seeing MS's history, they'll probably want $350 a copy for it...
> And half of the public will put up the money too...

And, paying for it probably will be worth it!

Though, I doubt it'll be $350 since Microsoft now has Apple and the
"free" Linux nipping at their heels (Linux is only as "free" as your
knowledge of computers is extensive or your support dep't is good...

otherwise, you're better off spending $300 to get a fully functioning
system which virtually all software companies support, than wasting
100s of hours doing things that would "just work" on Windows (even if
you value your time at a measly $5/hour it'll still cost you oodles
(and, suspect a signficant portion (most?) of users on this list can
value their rate at over $20/hour (unless you're a student still)) so
15 hours spent messing around to save a mere $300 won't be worth it (&
you'll spend a lot more than 15 hours!!!))

Not trying to solicit flames, just to challenge pre-conceived notions.

Eric.