YDL2.0/OS8.6/UMAX J700/SonnetG3 Kernal Panic

Kenneth Browne kbrowne at alumni.umass.edu
Tue Jul 5 19:54:17 MDT 2005

Joe Reuter wrote:
> Hello. New to group and Linux. System boots to Mac OS fine, when booting
> to YDL, "kernal panic, rebooting in 180 seconds" displays. Did I botch
> the install or ? Any advice appreciated.

I've done some playing with an old world mac (PPC5400 and 5500) the
5500'S had the Sonnet Cache installed G3 upgrade. I ran YDL 3.01 on them
OK, but could not get the G3 card to function in YDL. As I recall the
best I could do was load the G3 card as a Mac extension, but the
preempted loading YDL, which must be booted using BootX as Derrick
suggested. Since noone is LIKELY to develop a driver/extension to run
the G3 card in Linux, that's probably hopeless, but you should be able
to get YDL 2.0 or 3.01 to run in a dual boot system with OS9 on one side
and YDL on the other. I believe there's still an install guide for both
versions available at the Terrasoft site. For YDL 2.3 try this link. 2.0
or 3.01 will be similar.

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation/guide.shtml