Linux Router

Conaire Mullins iconan at rogers.com
Tue Jul 26 17:47:54 MDT 2005

The Equipment: One Power Mac 7500 upgraded to G3-300

The Idea: Take said Power Mac, install 2 new 10/100 NIC's and Yellowdog
to create a router to replace a Linksys router that I currently use.

The Problem: Being a total newb to Linux.  Although I am not afraid of
the command line, I use OSX everyday, and the Terminal often,  I do not
know much about Linux in general and specifically setting up servers
and other hardware.  I have found a book on setting up Linux Routers
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0130861138/002-5901471-
3599250?v=glance, quite old circa 2000 and kernel 2.2 and various other
websites, most regarding PC based options and some other sites out of
date or closed down.

The Big Question(s): Is this a good idea?  Is it even feasible?  If so
any idea of what NIC's I should throw in?  Has anyone read said book
and if so is it still usable and though out of date should I get a
copy?  Any other pointers from anyone?

-----
Conaire Mullins

A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist.