Linux Router

sloopy sloopy at ydl.net
Tue Jul 26 23:07:37 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 19:47, Conaire Mullins wrote:
> The Equipment: One Power Mac 7500 upgraded to G3-300
>
> The Idea: Take said Power Mac, install 2 new 10/100 NIC's and Yellowdog
> to create a router to replace a Linksys router that I currently use.
>
> The Problem: Being a total newb to Linux.  Although I am not afraid of
> the command line, I use OSX everyday, and the Terminal often,  I do not
> know much about Linux in general and specifically setting up servers
> and other hardware.  I have found a book on setting up Linux Routers
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0130861138/002-5901471-
> 3599250?v=glance, quite old circa 2000 and kernel 2.2 and various other
> websites, most regarding PC based options and some other sites out of
> date or closed down.
>
> The Big Question(s): Is this a good idea?  Is it even feasible?  If so
> any idea of what NIC's I should throw in?  Has anyone read said book
> and if so is it still usable and though out of date should I get a
> copy?  Any other pointers from anyone?
>

> -----
> Conaire Mullins

i just finished redoing my router, altho it is a Beige G3, before that i
used a Umax C500 (200Mhz 603 mac clone) and a 8500/233 (and occasionally
with a G3 upgrade card) and havnt had any problems... it is rather
simple and straight forward to do... i would personally say just use one
10/100 nic since most high speed providers dont offer service that can
overwhelm a 10baseT connect(i use cable modem) it is pretty much install
YDL (3.x or 4.x) and then follow the IP-Masquerading faq (
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO.html )

which you just need to figure out which ethernet interface it assigns
eth0 & eth1 to (usually builtin is eth0 and pci is eth1 ) and put the
two files you need to create ( /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall-iptables &
/etc/rc.d/init.d/firewall-iptables ) in their proper place and edit them
for your setup and reboot... and off you go... note, use the stronger
ruleset in section 6.4.1

it is rather simple to do, you just need to make sure when you install
YDL to make sure you allow ssh connections when it is asking about the
firewall...

sloopy.

p.s. if there is a need for a mini faq that is YDL specific i could
throw something together if requested... i had mine up and running in
less then 15mins not including the ydl install time...