Linux Router

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Wed Jul 27 06:36:42 MDT 2005

Regarding references I would suggest you make every effort to get past
the "Primer...." or "Beginner..." level of reading and get to the
serious stuff as many, many things are changing in many areas fast.
Whether you can keep up or even need to is a function of just what you
comprehend about the technology you have; this means how well you
understand the technology you have to match, or surpass the performance
of current technologies.  I would recommend that the money you spend
now should go into educating yourself before you invest in hardware or
hardware components.  A very nice set of professional references can be
found at:

www.fatbrain.com

The other aspect you should consider is the changes in services,
support and what will be or remain available as Apple completes the
switch to Intel.

Consider that in the past, users of older Macs could rely upon
similarities between newer Macs.  This flexibility will not be the case
in the future and whatever is coming out now or for the next few months
will be the last or next to last of the PowerPC line as far as Apple is
concerned, which also includes cards, and other components which
support those systems.  This means that you will have to eventually
choose whether you will move on to Apple's Mac/Intel systems and the
Linux which runs it.  Or as the PowerPC Mac market shrinks whether you
will stay with PowerPC based Linux and computers.  Right now, the
popular PowerPC hardware available short of IBM's PowerPC based
computers (available directly from them) is a company known as Genesi
(www.pegasosppc.com).  There may be others, but right now that's it.
Take a look at their systems and think carefully.

Best wishes...