Trying to install on a 3400c PowerBook. Help!

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon Aug 8 12:14:47 MDT 2005

Dear Deacon:
As usual the dance of complexity is already developing and soon you
will have your own little private twister (or tornado)!  Judging from
the nature of the questions, perhaps this is happening already.

If you read carefully what I wrote previously I was very specific with
what OS, BootX was associated with.  BootX was designed to be used as a
Control Panel application and therefore can only work with Classic OS,
which means Mac OS 9 & LOWER.

MacOS X doesn't need BootX at all.  Also I believe I stated that YDL 4
and higher was designed for Mac OS X only.  I also stated that the
earlier versions of YDL are optimized for Macs using the Classic OS.

The PB 3400 may have originally come with MacOS 8 or 8.5.  In any case,
it is considered a Classic OS and will need BootX installed as a
Control Panel.  All you need to do is find BootX on the first CD of YDL
3.0 and while within the MacOS copy BootX from YDL Install Disk 1 and
drop BootX onto the System Folder of the Classic Mac OS.  Only after
BootX is properly installed in the System Folder then you must follow
the other directions provided regarding setting up BootX, such as
copying the Linux kernel into a Folder where BootX can see it, set up
your video, set up the RAM disk for Linux to use and bootup from, and
not much more than that.  These are just some of the preparations
necessary to be done within the Classic OS BEFORE you attempt running
YDL.  Installing YDL ALSO requires the use of BootX, but this time for
this situation, BootX has different settings.  What settings are
necessary for which task and at what point are included (review the
READ ME file carefully) on the first YDL installation disk of YDL 2.0
and YDL 3.0; if you can't find it (the READ ME), then do a search on
Google for more information on BootX.

Believe me Deacon, there are other ways of doing Linux, I'm merely
narrowing the possibilities of discussion so I don't rewrite Wikipedia!

After implementing these preliminary procedures with BootX, then you
will then find booting into Linux through BootX to be something you get
used to.

Let's imagine (I hope sincerely this can eventually happen for you, but
right now let's use imagination) you are in Linux and finally can see
the Linux Desktop.  You will find the Kicker (not quite the same as the
Windows taskbar, experience will show you why) and all other
applications of your interest or that you could be interested in.  If
Firefox is not installed you can install it using yum.  The command
sequence is:

yum install firefox

This applies to any application you may wish to install.
You can also check using yum to see if there is a ppc version of the
application of your interest.  You want to check flash, then do:

yum search flash

then yum will list what it finds.  IF it finds flash then it can also
install it for you

yum install flash

Of course, that's the easy part.
There is a file (yum.conf) which yum refers to which needs to be
updated so that it references and searches the most useful, current and
useable libraries (called repositories).
It is up to you to do that.  Although others have done this before and
put together there experiences and knowledge onto the YDL FAQ pages.
I don't know if you can access this information resource, the Yellow
Dog Linux Frequently Asked Questions (YDL FAQ) pages but if you can,
study it.  Many of your questions which I merely skimmed over here, are
addressed there in more detail:

http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/start

Although Thunderbird is ok. I found the application called Evolution
far more flexible and useful.  It functions more like Now Contact and
Now Up to Date as well as an email program with encryption/decryption
capability, and very many other things.  As much as I like how OS X
does things, I do miss Evolution.  I know some people enjoy xmms, but
you really out to try xine and implement the GOOM application within
it.

Best wishes...