YUM Headers Cannot Be Found

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Wed Aug 17 23:34:21 MDT 2005

Hi Deacon Nikolai:
This is like reading a sentence, although I'm not sure that it brings
you closer to a resolution.
But before considering that, what did you do before issuing that
command?

Consider it this way, yum instructions are such that it is expecting to
see a certain amount of executions of prior work it has down PRIOR to
the command "yum clean all" being executed.  Examples are yum search,
yum install, yum update, yum upgrade, and so on.  Yum may be
complaining that as it did no prior work there is nothing for it to
"clean".

Yum, like all programs, is very narrow in it's view of purpose.  yum
clean will look at only those events which yum has actually done in the
current login session.  In short, despite it's name it will not look at
all past occurences of prior use of yum in previous login sessions nor
will it "clean up" any other program work other than whatever it has
actually done in a current session.  In other words, yum clean will not
do the work of make clean.

I may have opened another can of worms here, but really worms have a
purpose and we may as well get used to working with understanding what
they do as well.

I also may have totally befuddled you, for which I sincerely apologize.
  But knowing a bit of what you did before you invoked yum clean would
be helpful in understanding why yum is behaving this way.

Best wishes...