G5 installation

Dru Kepple dru.ydl at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 15:11:15 MST 2005

Hi.  I'm new to Linux, new to Yellow Dog, new to this mailing list.
Forgive me if the question I'm asking has an obvious anwer that's
already been posted.

So, I have a dual 2.7 GHz G5 that seems to have bombed while I was
updating to 10.4.3.  I thought, hey, if I need to reinstall everything
anyway, why not set things up for a dual-boot Linux system?

So I did everything according to directions i found online and also in
the Linux Bible 2005, and have a "free space" partition of about 20 GB
set up on my main drive, as the first partition, and the rest I
devoted to OS X.

After getting OS X reinstalled, I stuck in the YDL 4.0.1 CD, disc 1,
and rebooted.  After typing install-g5 at the prompt, things started
to, for lack of a better word, go.

First text flashed across the screen, then more text flashed, except
this time it looked a lot like the text that creeps over a Mac screen
when a kernel panic occurs, and then more text flashed across the
screen, this time being more like terminal text (actually, it looked
more like a PC when they boot up...).  It came to a halt, and most of
it was a numbers and letters, but the last two lines said something
about a kernel panic, and then rebooting in 180 seconds.  And it did
just that.

After a quick glance at the yellow dog site, I did see that my model
of computer wasn't officially supported.  And there were many
"D'oh's."

So my question(s) is(are):  is what happened what I should have
expected to have happened (assuming I knew about the dual 2.7
incompatibilities)?  Or did I do something wrong?  Along those lines,
is there anything to be done about this?  Or do I just wait for an
update to YDL?  And if I wait, how long should I expect to wait?  My
particular model has been out for something like six months (I could
be wrong, but I've had it for at least four)...how long do updates
take?

Thanks in advance,
Dru