G5 installation

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sat Nov 12 07:03:12 MST 2005

Dru:
You have my deepest and sincere sympathy.  However, I cannot imagine a
successful lifestyle in which you jump into a pool first and then
check, while on the way down, to see if there is water in it.  There is
no way to begin to help anybody going through life, let alone life with
Linux, that way.

Linux Bible, any Bible, indeed, does not preclude your responsibility
as a consumer to do research.  Did you really believe one book, or one
reference was enough?
Every human experiences the "D'oh" moment at some point; in regards to
technology as complex as computers and Linux it is always a solid idea
-- especially if one has plans at looking into a mirror again without
being embarrassed -- to reduce those moments as much as possible.
There is only one way to do this .... RESEARCH!  MORE RESEARCH!!   AND
MORE RESEARCH AGAIN!!!

May I suggest that the research occur BEFORE you buy anything!

Although these ideas can apply to anything some people find that
implementing one thing well, is a success story.

Regarding the rest if the system is not supported it is not supported.
Companies are pretty much the same in that regard and holding your
breath -- hoping and waiting -- won't change policy.

You bought this kind of system for a reason, obviously with the
Macintosh OS Universe in mind.  If you are set on getting into
programming in the Linux environment, and getting your computer to
function as a server you could try other Linux variants which support
your machine.  Debian.  Ubuntu.  Mandrake.  Suse.

But you need to pay attention to details, and you have already
demonstrated that you have some difficulties there.  So before you do
anything further, consider what you want to do and why.  Remember also
that Apple is switching to Intel sometime next year which is only 1
month and some days away at the time I write this.  Do you intend to do
programming and server work utilizing the PowerPC or are your
professional skills mostly with Intel based systems?

Of course, it is clear that if you could answer that question you would
not have arrived at the point you are now...

I suggest that you sell what you got (you just may be at the tail end
of being able to get your money back), and keep the cash while saving
up for whatever Apple produces next year which will be based on Intel.
You'll save time, grief and of course by then you'll be on a different
list; you may still choose Linux at that point, but it'll be a Linux
running on an Intel system.  Believe it or not, there are more Linux
packages and options available which support Intel than support
PowerPC.

This period of time is an odd time for any computer user not used to
pursuing essential and detailed information in the correct sequence.  I
am sure that you will get through this experience; just remember that
what you choose to do or implement with the technology you have is more
important than the hardware you choose.  For the first time in history
the entire home computer market will be ONE architecture -- Intel, only
the operating systems will differ; that is, the choice will still be
the Mac OS v. Windows.

Of course, there is the possibility that you do have an idea or
implementation of technology which requires using the PowerPC for it's
unique advantages and therefore staying with YDL is the best OS to use
for technical reasons; in that case you should consider using a PowerPC
system with a long life and which YDL will support if you are looking
in that direction then you should consider:

http://www.pegasosppc.com/

Why?  The CPU card is designed to be swappable which means you merely
upgrade the CPU not all the whole computer.

Stay positive, you can overcome your D'ohs.

On Nov 11, 2005, at 5:11 PM, Dru Kepple wrote:

> Hi.  I'm new to Linux, new to Yellow Dog, new to this mailing list.
> Forgive me if the question I'm asking has an obvious anwer that's
> already been posted.
>
> So, I have a dual 2.7 GHz G5 that seems to have bombed while I was
> updating to 10.4.3.  I thought, hey, if I need to reinstall everything
> anyway, why not set things up for a dual-boot Linux system?
>
> So I did everything according to directions i found online and also in
> the Linux Bible 2005, and have a "free space" partition of about 20 GB
> set up on my main drive, as the first partition, and the rest I
> devoted to OS X.
>
> After getting OS X reinstalled, I stuck in the YDL 4.0.1 CD, disc 1,
> and rebooted.  After typing install-g5 at the prompt, things started
> to, for lack of a better word, go.
>
> First text flashed across the screen, then more text flashed, except
> this time it looked a lot like the text that creeps over a Mac screen
> when a kernel panic occurs, and then more text flashed across the
> screen, this time being more like terminal text (actually, it looked
> more like a PC when they boot up...).  It came to a halt, and most of
> it was a numbers and letters, but the last two lines said something
> about a kernel panic, and then rebooting in 180 seconds.  And it did
> just that.
>
> After a quick glance at the yellow dog site, I did see that my model
> of computer wasn't officially supported.  And there were many
> "D'oh's."
>
> So my question(s) is(are):  is what happened what I should have
> expected to have happened (assuming I knew about the dual 2.7
> incompatibilities)?  Or did I do something wrong?  Along those lines,
> is there anything to be done about this?  Or do I just wait for an
> update to YDL?  And if I wait, how long should I expect to wait?  My
> particular model has been out for something like six months (I could
> be wrong, but I've had it for at least four)...how long do updates
> take?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dru

================================
Life only demands from you the strength that you possess. Only one feat
is possible; not to run away.
-- Dag Hammarskjold (July 29, 1905 - September 18, 1961)

Anyone that dares to Be, can never be weak.
-- Chinese Proverb

"Intellectual freedom cannot exist without political freedom; political
freedom cannot exist without economic freedom; a free mind and a free
market are corollaries." -- Ayn Rand, "For The New Intellectual,"

"Better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees."
-- Dolores Ibarruri, 1936

"What do you call a peaceful, productive, person who is prevented by
force of law from disposing of his efforts as he sees fit? A slave." --
Rick Gaber

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every
form of tyranny over the mind of man." -- Thomas Jefferson, 1800, as
inscribed in the Jefferson Memorial