G5 installation

Dru Kepple dru.ydl at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 11:11:06 MST 2005

Derick:

On 11/12/05, Derick Centeno <aguilarojo at verizon.net> wrote:
> Dru:
> You have my deepest and sincere sympathy.  However, I cannot imagine a
> successful lifestyle in which you jump into a pool first and then
> check, while on the way down, to see if there is water in it.  There is
> no way to begin to help anybody going through life, let alone life with
> Linux, that way.

Huh?

> Linux Bible, any Bible, indeed, does not preclude your responsibility
> as a consumer to do research.  Did you really believe one book, or one
> reference was enough?

No...would you have liked my original post to list the other books I
have referenced and websites I have visited?  Or would you rather I
just got to my question?  And anyway, doesn't referencing the Linux
Bible count as research?

> Every human experiences the "D'oh" moment at some point; in regards to
> technology as complex as computers and Linux it is always a solid idea
> -- especially if one has plans at looking into a mirror again without
> being embarrassed -- to reduce those moments as much as possible.
> There is only one way to do this .... RESEARCH!  MORE RESEARCH!!   AND
> MORE RESEARCH AGAIN!!!

I'm looking in the mirror just fine, thank you.  Stop yelling.

> May I suggest that the research occur BEFORE you buy anything!

I didn't buy anything except my machine, which was bought to run Mac
OS X.  I got the machine around 4 or 5 months ago, and right now Linux
is at the "I wonder what it's all about" stage, and I was seeking
merely to try it out.  I can't predict the future and tell exactly
what I may or may not want to do with my computer five months from the
time that I purchase it.

If you're saying "research before buying Yellow Dog," then I didn't
buy Yellow Dog.  I downloaded ISO's and burned my own installation
disks.  I'm not quite sure what you're yelling about.

> Although these ideas can apply to anything some people find that
> implementing one thing well, is a success story.
>
> Regarding the rest if the system is not supported it is not supported.
> Companies are pretty much the same in that regard and holding your
> breath -- hoping and waiting -- won't change policy.

That doesn't answer my question.  But thank you for at least noticing
that I actually asked a question.

> You bought this kind of system for a reason, obviously with the
> Macintosh OS Universe in mind.  If you are set on getting into
> programming in the Linux environment, and getting your computer to
> function as a server you could try other Linux variants which support
> your machine.  Debian.  Ubuntu.  Mandrake.  Suse.

I never said anything about being "set on getting into programming in
the Linux environment."  Stop assuming.  You know what happens when
you assume.

> But you need to pay attention to details, and you have already
> demonstrated that you have some difficulties there.

Fuck you, too.

So before you do
> anything further, consider what you want to do and why.

OK.  What I want to do:  I want to run a dual boot system with OS X
and Linux  Why:  so that I can start to get my feet wet with Linux,
but still have my regular and trusted Mac OS X.  Not that I don't
trust Linux, but I didn't want to simply cut over without, ah,
checking to see if the water was in the pool.  Hence the dual boot.

Remember also
> that Apple is switching to Intel sometime next year which is only 1
> month and some days away at the time I write this.

So?  I needed a machine when I needed a machine, not next year.  And
anyway, the latest intelligent guesses as to when the MacIntels are to
be released is June 2006.  I'm not waiting that long.  My old computer
was a 500 MHz G3 iBook.  It was time to upgrade.

Do you intend to do
> programming and server work utilizing the PowerPC or are your
> professional skills mostly with Intel based systems?

My professional skills are in ActionScripting.  I use a Mac at work,
too, but when it comes to Flash, it really doesn't matter if it's
PowerPC or Intel.  You're assuming too much about what I want to do
with Linux.  Stop that.

> Of course, it is clear that if you could answer that question you would
> not have arrived at the point you are now...

Hmm...I just answered that question...so...the only thing that is
clear is that you assume too much.

> I suggest that you sell what you got (you just may be at the tail end
> of being able to get your money back), and keep the cash while saving
> up for whatever Apple produces next year which will be based on Intel.
> You'll save time, grief and of course by then you'll be on a different
> list; you may still choose Linux at that point, but it'll be a Linux
> running on an Intel system.  Believe it or not, there are more Linux
> packages and options available which support Intel than support
> PowerPC.

No, I WON'T save time.  When it takes a computer a number of minutes
to even launch a web browser, I'M NOT SAVING TIME BY CONTINUING TO USE
THAT MACHINE!!!  As I said before, it was time to upgrade.  Absolutely
no point in waiting.

And yes, I'm FULLY aware that there are more Linux distros that
support Intel.  I mean, why do you think I chose Yellow Dog?

> This period of time is an odd time for any computer user not used to
> pursuing essential and detailed information in the correct sequence.  I
> am sure that you will get through this experience; just remember that
> what you choose to do or implement with the technology you have is more
> important than the hardware you choose.  For the first time in history
> the entire home computer market will be ONE architecture -- Intel, only
> the operating systems will differ; that is, the choice will still be
> the Mac OS v. Windows.

Thank you for assuming that I know NOTHING about ANYTHING and talking
to me like I was a kindergartner.  Again, stop with the assumptions.

> Of course, there is the possibility that you do have an idea or
> implementation of technology which requires using the PowerPC for it's
> unique advantages and therefore staying with YDL is the best OS to use
> for technical reasons; in that case you should consider using a PowerPC
> system with a long life and which YDL will support if you are looking
> in that direction then you should consider:
>
> http://www.pegasosppc.com/
>
> Why?  The CPU card is designed to be swappable which means you merely
> upgrade the CPU not all the whole computer.
>
> Stay positive, you can overcome your D'ohs.

I was positive until you came along...

So, I try out Linux, I make the simple mistake of not checking the
supported hardware page before installation, and you round on me like
I just slept with your wife?!??  You know, I thought the open source
community was supposed to be, you know, a community.  I thought there
was this ethic of "help one another."  I thought I could ask a simple
question and get a simple answer.

Instead, I get one reply, from perhaps the most pompous dick with
which I've ever had the displeasure of conversing, and it's not an
answer to my question, it's a lecture on how I'm an idiot, how I can't
think for myself, how I can't see the details even though they're
right there in front of me, how I'm obviously completely irresponsible
and shouldn't ever be trusted with a computer again, how YOU are so
much more righteous than me.

What was that response supposed to do for me, huh?  Help me with my
question?  Or scare me away from never giving Linux a second shot?
Are you that protective of your Linux lifestyle?  Don't want new
people around who might offer some competition?  Would rather keep it
a "secret society?"

I don't understand...I've asked plenty of stupid questions on other
forums, obviously as a newbie at whatever that forum was about, and
I've never gotten a reply as diminishing and self-righteous as yours.
I mean, THAT'S WHAT THESE MAILING LISTS ARE FOR...they're here to help
people like me get questions answered.  They are NOT soap boxes for
people like you.  You are abusing the system.  You should stop that,
too, along with the assuming.  Start a blog -- that seems more up your
alley.

And so, my total experience with the Linux community has amounted to:

1 complete twat
1 other person who responded to the complete twat about the length of
his signature, and didn't necessarily try to help me.

So, from that small sampling of the Linux community, I'm left figuring
that 50% of all Linux users are complete twats, and 100% of them don't
care about helping new users.

Apple doesn't berate me for calling tech support.  Maybe I'll just
stick with them.

Dru