G5 installation (OT)

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu Nov 17 18:53:56 MST 2005

Dear Francisco:
Perhaps you missed my response which was posted several hours later,
but on the same day, regarding what occurred.

I clarified for everyone my intention and view; also I made it clear
that there was no emotional investment in any sense.  But to emphasize
it for you, I did not design anything or construct one word with any
intent to insult anyone, let alone someone asking a question.  That
would be contrary to the whole point of even being a human being, no?
Questions are what humans have, do and spend generations of time
researching, considering and exploring.

What I wrote, and what in fact happened is a classic study of
interpretation/misinterpretation.

I will advance the extra step, for clarity's sake, and note that there
are very many and very nasty ways in many human languages to convey
insult and disrespect for others while using no discoverable expletives
at all.  A style of writing where the best scholars would even be
challenged to discover what is "within" or "behind" the writing.
However, I did not do anything that way nor did I invest the time to
construct such a thing.  You will have to take my word for it.

As I did not construct even one word with that (destructive or
insulting) intent, what is the problem then?  The problem is one that
is as old as humanity itself (since writing began) and which has driven
governments to burn books and much worse.  The Spanish destroyed the
works of the Mayans "as works of the Devil", and we are still trying to
relearn the engineering and science which the Mayans knew; but this
kind of interpretation repeats itself in all cultures at different
times.  The writer is intending this or that and must therefore imply
and indicate something else and next we have the Inquisition -- we have
the "proof".  Collecting a crowd to agree with anything is very easy;
one doesn't even have to appeal to recalling WWII.  What is hard is
insisting on individual thought and independence of mind without appeal
to the emotions or collectivism and it's comforts.

Have we reached the point of ignoring or forgetting that one is
responsible for one's own thoughts and counsel?  What happened to the
principles of the Enlightenment where one analyzes?  To put it another
way, what kind of music would we be listening to if someone was
constantly rewriting the works of classic opera or other works of art
based not on what is written, but instead what one interprets "should
be" there or "thinks" is there.  It wouldn't be the same work, would
it?  Who is the creator then?  Is it not the person doing the
"interpretation".  It is acceptable and well known that certain works
are interpretations of other works; Abstract Art and Writing are
interpretations of other works.  Each author, takes responsibility for
their own interpretation.  The interpretation is not the original.
This principle is well understood, in many ways, throughout the world.

Writing anything is, almost always, a challenge.  Writing questions,
especially so.  However, the interpretation of writing is not the
responsibility of the writer.  Any writer has the right to correct or
retrack or change or rewrite his/her statements.  However, what
happened here was that one interpretation of what I wrote grew,
creating a view (which propagated to you) which others put upon what I
wrote.  However that interpretation was NOT the intent or
interpretation I had, or ever had, at anytime.

As I did not intend, nor in fact write, anything abusive; my writing
remains as it stands.

I cannot apologize for someone's interpretations of my writing; the
very principle of being responsible for one's own mind prevents this.
I can only disagree, to the best of my ability, that such an
interpretation reflect's my own views or thoughts.  These
interpretations, by others, is not my responsibility or my concern.
Each person chooses their own thoughts and feelings; and if you choose
to join the band, the party, the Church or whatever you do ... take
responsibilty at least for where the cart, the bus or the journey --
you chose to join -- takes you.  There is a wide gulf -- an abyss --
between what I intended when I wrote my comments, and what it has been
interpreted to be.

Regarding your comment about an enemy.  In my life I've had no more
than 4; each one worthy of the highest respect and honor and in
different walks of life.  Ever hear the phrase, (I'm not sure what part
- in time or place - of world history it originates from), "One has no
greater love, than one who gives his life for his enemy."  Well each
one of mine is and was of that caliber.  I've been fortunate to have
been graced by the challenge of these persons ( 3 men and 1 woman).  IF
they were to read what I wrote as addressed to themselves each one
would laugh and wonder that anything had been said to challenge them at
all.  They would wonder why I had not been direct -- tougher and more
thorough.  They would become insulted, that in fact, that there is
nothing in the original statement worthy even of becoming annoyed over.

Perhaps the problem can be phrased in many other ways, but the
"bottom-line" is that the problem is one of interpretation.
I intended/planned no abuse or insult as it has become "popular" to
interpret.

I may be a bad writer, just plain wrong or even totally not even
addressing the right subject or sometimes I may recommend even an
unworkable answer, but at no time have I intended or directed any
insult or abuse in this or any forum discussing ideas.  Mr. Keeple
however, attacked me with an expletive very clearly because he
interpreted my writing as an attack upon him; this is a different
problem entirely.  The only reason I can address this problem as I have
is the fact that when I wrote the original comments and sent them to
this forum there was absolutely no rancor or intention to insult or
otherwise offend Mr. Keeple or anyone else.  I took his interpretation
into consideration when he chose to use an expletive against me.  I
made a sincere reply conveying as respectfully as I could that at no
time was his interpretation, my own or my actual intent.  This is
evident also in the fact that I went out of my way, and do so here
again, to put distance between his view and interpretation of what I
wrote, and what I did write.

He is free to have whatever interpretation he wishes; however that is
his creation, not mine.  Others also are free to join that view or not,
as they please.  They (regardless whether they are yourself, Mr.
Kepple, or anyone else) are NOT free however to say that their
interpretation, and choice of views which they together hold and have
agreed upon so eagerly, is my own or represent anything I wrote or
intended.

In a way it is interesting that this issue has erupted into this forum.
  It really calls for thoughtful and careful attention.  I doubt any
real "thinking" will happen however, too many people running around
busy feeling one thing or another -- one feels this thing and so they
bomb a hotel, another feels that and call for the killing of a
President, another feels righteously offended on God's behalf and flat
out declares that a whole region not call on God or that a whole nation
be eradicated off the planet and out of existence -- and still these
and other feelings are allowed central play in thought, and the policy
of nations.  Amazing.  Absolutely amazing.

Two things alone, bother me.
God is moving beyond a depressed phase, into action.
Satan is laughing.

Aché