Xserve G4 RAID Config

Collin O'Neill coneill at pobox.com
Wed Nov 23 08:26:45 MST 2005

Guido Neitzer wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have an Xserve G4 with 4 drive bays.
>
> Is it possible to set the drives in a "software RAID 10" via software
> RAID (2 striping RAIDs which are mirrored, to get one big drive) and
> boot YDL from this RAID? Or is it better/possible to boot from a
> "standard" drive and use the others in a RAID 5?

I found that creating a bootable drive from software RAID was so
difficult that it is not practical to boot from a software RAID array.
Perhaps you can mount your boot disk on a single drive and use RAID 5
for the the additional three drives. You'll still get fast performance
and similar space out of three disks using RAID 5 that you would with
four disks at RAID 10.