using samba

P-O Blomstrand P-O.Blomstrand at odontologi.gu.se
Mon Dec 5 15:07:18 MST 2005

5 dec 05 | v49 | kl. 20.01 skrev Taylan Pince:

> hello again,
>
> yes i am using the user-level security. after following your
> suggestions, i still wasn't able to connect, then i thought about
> my firewall settings and turned the firewall off on the linux
> machine. now i am able to connect to the server with smbclient
> through the terminal on os x. however, when i try to connect
> through the finder (go -> connect to server), i manage to connect
> to the server, i get a username/password screen, and when i put the
> user's password in, i get an authentication error.
>
> i am using the smpasswd for creating the users, and they work fine
> through the terminal. i am pretty sure os x should be able to
> connect to the server directly, but i am not sure where i am making
> a mistake.
>
> thanks again.
>
> cheers,
> taylan
>

> On Dec 04, 2005, at 11:35, Collin O'Neill wrote:
>
>>    Can you tell us what security method you are using? It would
>> help if you listed the steps you used to add users and configure
>> your shares.  SMB is cool but it's pretty complex. Most likely you
>> will be using user-level security (default), but if you are in a
>> Windows NT4 or Active Domain environment you'll be trying to use
>> domain or ADS security.  I'm going to assume you are using user-
>> level security and that you've added the user using the smbpasswd
>> command.
>>    First, try connecting with any valid user name in your
>> smbpasswd file using the -U switch instead of just connecting
>> through the secure shell:
>>
>> smbclient -L localhost -U [username]
>>
>>    If the user is in the smbpasswd file you should get the listing
>> of shares along with private directories for the user. Also check
>> that the shares are world-readable as specified in smb.conf (i.e.
>> read only = no or writeable = yes) and permissions for the share
>> are 0777 or 0766.  Restrict access after you've got authorization
>> working.
>>    From your Mac, open the terminal and connect through the
>> command line:
>>
>> smbclient //[host]/[share]
>>
>> Here's the corresponding page in the official HOWTO:
>>
>> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/
>> install.html#id2520661
>>
>> -Collin

Sorry, but this is most probably a Tiger issue! This page offers some
solutions:

http://www.macwindows.com/tiger.html#SMB1

/PO
P-O Blomstrand
CDI
Odontologiska fakulteten
Sahlgrenska akademin vid Göteborgs universitet
Tel: 031-773 3155    Mobil: 0705-724474

MAC OS X for work and stability
Linux for fun and development
Windows for Solitaire!