Apple Peforma 6200

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Fri Jan 6 09:33:58 MST 2006

Hi James:
 From what material exists regarding the Performa 6200, the 603 chip was
decent in it's time.  However, according to TSS page discussing what
machines YDL will run on.  You will find that along the bottom of the
page it is listed that your machine is among those that YDL will not
run upon at all.  However, it may be fortunate for you that what is not
listed is which version of YDL will not run.

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/hardware/others.shtml

As usual in Linux, there are usually work-around strategies for
everything ... however it is up to you to decide if the added effort
(in time and cash) is actually worth it.  The short version of an
explanation is that YDL 3 and forward are functional with G3, G4 and
G5.  I believe I remember running YDL 2.3 when I had a Mac IIci which
was a 68030.  There is no guarantee that YDL 2.3 will run however on
your Performa however.  But unless you try, and report back to the list
regarding your effort .... no one else will know what the possibilities
are.  If this does work, you will have to remember to stay in YDL 2.3
as that is the only environment which will work for you.

The other possibility is to attempt to get a PCI card or other card
(NuBus card?) which will fit into the Performa's slot which may have a
G3 on it.  I have no idea if this is possible.
If anyone has the technical skills regarding this (as to what
Performa's and other older Macs can use) it would be Other World
Computing (www.fastermacs.com).  OWC can guide you through getting a
card and perhaps helping your Performa get to run a G3; they cannot
help you with running Linux however.  But once you have a G3 perhaps
you then will be able to try running YDL 3.0.  However, YDL 3.0 may not
be able to run from G3's running from an upgrade card either (note the
capitals SOMETIMES FUNCTION on the link).  If you get to where you do
get YDL 3.0 to work, maybe YDL 4 and beyond could work.  Again, with an
upgrade card, there are no promises.

The other possibility is to acquire a Mac with a G3 or G4 as it's
primary CPU.  There are many good prices for used Macs; moving up to a
used G4 could be a better investment than considering an upgrade card.
If your Performa is in decent condition there are vendors which will
buy it and apply it's value towards a G4 system which may interest you
which could help you afford and get a G4 sooner.  I haven't had to go
this route myself, but there are reputable vendors out there which
offer a reasonable deal.

Whatever you decide to do, check out the vendor and refer to this TSS
webpage so that you can decide which machine you would prefer to get
before you make any plans:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/hardware/breakdown/

You may find this company useful as you consider your options for your
Performa:

http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/6200.shtml