MPlayer problems

Paul Higgins (U of M) higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Thu Jan 19 22:13:38 MST 2006

Here's the results of further troubleshooting.  The initial thing that was
suggested was to try starting it from the command line:
$ gmplayer
MPlayer 1.0pre6-3.3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
Illegal instruction

Then I tried:
$ whereis mplayer
mplayer: /usr/bin/mplayer /etc/mplayer /usr/lib/mplayer /usr/share/mplayer /usr/share/man/man1/mplayer.1.gz

I haven't tried "# find / -name "mpl*" -print > findmplayer" yet.  I did check
on yum updates, and I have the latest version.

I guess I'll uninstall MPlayer using yum and then get xine (and maybe
eventually also compile MPlayer from source).  So is something wrong with
yum, then?  Because when I was installing MPlayer using yum, everything
appeared to go smoothly.  I never got any error messages.