MPlayer problems

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Fri Jan 20 00:06:55 MST 2006

Hi Paul:

I merely mentioned a potential problem with yum.  Which could range
from it being directed to download from old or incomplete repositories
to problems in it's own code.
If it functioned and you said it reported no errors, maybe you should
see in yum.conf for where it is going and update the information there
so that it is going instead to the most recent and current
repositories.  The more current repositories are posted somewhere;
certainly someone on this list can help with that.  You can check
against that.

Meanwhile although I'm a fan of xine, I do understand your being
focussed on a mplayer.  However, keep on slugging things out regarding
mplayer and you may come up with something which satisfies you.
Otherwise, if you want to get moving onto whatever you intend to do --
you may discover xine to be more than flexible.

This might be a no brainer, and obvious, but did you try doing:

$ cd /usr/bin
$ ./mplayer

Just a thought, before you throw up your hands and go for xine.  I'm
sure you realize that some programs need to be started with ./ from
within the directory where they can be executed (in this case
/usr/bin).  The details of why they are invoked differently requires a
different kind of discussion, but you can look that up elsewhere.

Best of luck...