YDL help for my G5.

Brian Durant RoadTripDK at MyRealBox.Com
Sat Jan 28 06:56:48 MST 2006

Hi again,

Well, since I e-mailed the list, I have tried a number of different
distros and spent a lot of hours of hard work in trying to get Linux
to work on my G5. As I am a pragmatist at heart, I have come back to
YDL 4.0.1 as it seems of all of the distros I have tried to work best
on my machine. Even though I have a thing for .deb based distros, I
am basically a pragmatist at heart and  since YDL works best for me,
that is where I will concentrate my effort on getting things sorted
out. Maybe I can be convinced to love an .rpm based system as well.
Who knows? Time will tell.

Anyway, there are a number of issues like no sound, kudzo prompting
to remove and add drivers that appear to be the same, windfarm
problems, etc. The first thing I would like to do is since I just did
a default install, except for Danish language support, I would like
to try to get everything on the system updated to the latest of
everything that is available for 4.0.1 and is a "stock" version (i.e.
the same branch that is used in YDL) to see if that will help some of
the problems. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about yum or the
commands or if there is a graphic front end. As my fans are revving
so much, I don't dare be using YDL for very long at a time, so I
don't have a lot of time to do newbie picking around like I would
otherwise do. Here is what my system looks like:

Hardware Overview:

   Machine Name:	Power Mac G5
   Machine Model:	PowerMac9,1
   CPU Type:	PowerPC G5  (3.0)
   Number Of CPUs:	1
   CPU Speed:	1.8 GHz
   L2 Cache (per CPU):	512 KB
   Memory:	1 GB
   Bus Speed:	600 MHz
   Boot ROM Version:	5.2.2f2

As I said above, I am a newbie (more or less, so any help will be
appreciated.

Cheers,

Brian